CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 1, 2011

December 1st Already/ AIDS Awareness Day


First of all, I have no idea why I am wide awake at 2:30 AM. But it is December 1st already! Wow this year flew by! I usually hate December. I don't like the hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping, the crazy parking lots, the rude people. But this year for some reason I am enjoying it. I did the Black Friday shopping and I actually enjoyed it! Crazy I know. People were yelling at each other and pushing and it didn't bother me one bit. This coming from someone who hates crowds! But I am feeling the Christmas spirit this year. I am looking forward to decorating this weekend. Which is another pet peeve of mine. I don't like to decorate. It's such a hastle to pull everything out just for a few weeks and turn around and put it all away. But I actually can't wait to do it. I am going to pull out my advent calendar later and I am making this adorable little Santa Advent Calendar also. I can feel the Christmas spirit creeping in. It may have something to do with our silly little elf. Who knows? All I know is I am looking forward to it all. I am even almost finished Christmas shopping! I have one or two more things to get for Maddie and Caden and we are finished. Oh and I have to figure out what to get Leo because he is so hard to shop for! What do you get for a man who has everything? When you figure it out you let me know!

More then it just being the start of the Christmas season, this day is something special. Today is World Aids Day. Now this is a cause that is near and dear to my heart and something that I have directly been effected by. Someone very close to me was diagnosed with AIDS 20 years ago. Back in the 80's when the disease first came out, everyone thought it was highly contagious and this was your death notice. Since then people have learned so much about the disease I know first hand that despite all odds you can live a full and healthy life with it. Twenty years ago someone I love was diagnosed with HIV. He was told ultimately there is no cure and "you are going to die." In the 90's he was told the disease progressed and he now had AIDS and was given less then three years. Five years ago, he was told retire, enjoy the time you have left, there are no more treatments for us to try. And today he is living a happy life, defying the odds and proving those doctors who told him 20 years ago "You are going to die", wrong. He is a fighter, he is a survivor, he is my brother!

It is so important to know! So if you are out there and you have never been tested....DO IT! Don't be afraid, be educated! Get tested and take control, save a life! It could be your own!

0 comments:

Post a Comment